The Graduate School Fair is coming up next Thursday, October 8th – only 1 week away! That means it is time to do some research as you prepare. Here are a few tips to assist you:
1.) Review the Profile Book. You will be able to see what degree programs the various schools offer and their website as well. There are over 60 schools attending; so there’s something for everyone!
2.) Rank a list of 5-10 schools so you know your top options. Depending on how long you have at the fair, you may have to narrow your search so have a game plan set.
3.) Have a list of questions ready. Below are some samples:
- When is the application deadline?
- Could you tell me more about your facilities/campus?
- What are your admission requirements?
- Are students admitted in both the fall and spring?
- What is unique about your ________ program?
- Are graduate assistantships available?
4.) Be prepared to also answer recruiter’s questions, such as:
- Why do you want to attend graduate school?
- Why are you interested in our specific program?
- When are you interested in applying?
5.) Think ahead. The representative will meet many students next week. You want to stand out and have them remember you. Ask them for their business card so you can email and follow up with them. If you have any future questions, they will be a good contact to keep in mind. This is a great opportunity to network so take advantage of it.
6.) Lastly, be yourself! Come prepared and be confident. A positive attitude will get you far.