It’s that time of the year again, interviewing season!
Are you looking for an internship? A summer job? A full time job? Or even interviewing for graduate school?
Here are some useful tips that we think can help you succeed in your next interview!
Interviewing in general:
- Learn about the organization- Coming into an interview with specific questions regarding different aspects of the organization will show that you have a true interest in the company and want to learn as much as you can!
- Rehearse what you want to say and how you want to say things- Mock interviews are a great way to learn to answer common interview questions! They also give you time to think about what you would say and really perfect it before your big interview!
- Know your strengths AND weaknesses- Strengths can be easy to identify and pick which skill you want to highlight the most during an interview; however, it is the weaknesses that are often the most difficult to answer. You want to be sure to take time to reflect be prepared for the question. Personally, I like to talk about a weakness that I have, that I think that the company can help turn into a strength. This lets the company know that you are willing to grow
If you’re interviewing on Skype:
- Look at the Camera, not the screen- As tempting as it is to want to look at yourself or the interviewer, looking at the camera will allow you to have that “direct eye contact” moment that is essential in any interview setting
- Prepare your surroundings- You want to make sure that you are in a quiet room with a plain paint color or wall design. There is nothing more distracting for an interviewer than loud noises coming from your side of the screen or a distracting piece of art work behind your head.
- Dress the part- Even though you are doing a Skype interview, you want to make sure that you look like someone who should be hired. You still want to be in full interview attire to be, no excuses!
Also be sure to sign up for a Mock Interview on February 11 to talk to professionals about how to interview successfully in your field! You can sign up through Career Connect!
For more tips and tricks on interviewing, check out these websites: