Career fairs are a great start in beginning your job hunt. Following these tips and strategies to help you make connections at the career fair:
- Research employers
- Educate yourself on the companies attending by reviewing our Profile Book. The more you know about an organization and the types of positions they hire for, the better you will come across to the employer.
- Don’t ask questions you can find for yourself
- Use your resources and do not ask questions you can easily find for yourself. Ask questions that can provide insight for you, such as how can one succeed in the job? What do you enjoy most about the company? These questions will give you a more inside perspective on the organization and help you understand what skills are needed to be successful on the job and in the company.
- Be enthusiastic and confident
- A firm handshake, eye contact, and good conversation with the company’s representative are all good signs of your interest in the company. Focus on your strengths and the specific skills and experiences you would bring to the company.
- Follow up with a thank you note or email
- After you have spoken with a representative at the fair, be sure to follow up with them. Ask for a business card and send thank you emails/handwritten notes. These notes/emails show you appreciate their time and help you stay on their radar.
Remember you get jobs by talking to people. Dress for success and see you at the Career Fair on Wednesday, Feb. 1 in the DSU from 12-3PM.
Here are the latest job postings from Career Connect!
Here’s a to a wonderful week (and memes)! We hope you visit the CCP this semester – especially if you’re preparing for the real world after graduation!
We’ve got all the latest CNU Career Connect Job Postings right here!
As you prepare your resumes and cover letters in pursuit of jobs and internships this summer, there may be one element of the job application process that you’ve overlooked or avoided – the interview. Luckily, the CCP is hosting mock interviews Thursday, January 26th! These interviews are the perfect no-stress way to practice answering questions posed by employers. Even better, the mock interviews will be conducted by industry professionals from six different companies! The following employers and time slots are still available, but you better act fast since they do fill up on a first come, first serve basis. (Please take note that interviews will last approximately 40 minutes and take place in Freeman 202.)
- Rachel Barham, BDO
Time slots available: 11 am and 1:50 pm
- Ian Vorster, Virginia Sea Grant
Time slots available: 11 am and 1:10 pm
- Randy Martin, MassMutual
Time slots available: 9 am, 9:40 am, 10:20 am, 12:30 pm, 1:10 pm
- Christina Neiduski, ASM Research
- Human Resources, Accounting, IT
Time slots available: 10:20 am, 1:50 pm and 2:30 pm
- Vincent Tchong, ASM Research
- IT/Software Development
Time slots available: 2:30 pm
- Bryan Spence, GEICO
- Human Resources, Management, Leadership
Time slots available: 9 am, 9:40 am, 12:30 pm, 1:10 pm, 1:50 pm, 2:30 pm, 3:10 pm
We’ve got the latest internship and full time job postings right here for you on this Friday! Enjoy your weekend and check out Career Connect in your spare time.
UVA Darden MBA Program Information Session, Tuesday, 1/17, 11 am, CNH 305
Find out what an MBA is all about, the best time to get your MBA, and its portability to many fields.
Wolf Trap Virtual Information Session, Thursday, 1/19, 12:30 pm, Ferguson A210
Come learn about Wolf Trap and their Summer Internship Program as we connect with a recruiter (via Skype) to get an overview of the opportunities and application process. Sign up to attend here
Mock Interview Day, Thursday, 1/26, Freeman 202
Practice interview questions with employers in your industry area of interest. Sign up via the Interview Schedules menu of Career Connect.
We’ve got an exciting semester ahead and lots to look forward to! Whether you’re a senior ready to graduate and get a job or a freshman figuring out your major, the CCP has plenty of events and workshops to help you prepare for success.
Some events we want to highlight are:
- Employer Mock Interview Program, Thursday, Jan. 26
- Employers from various industries will be on campus to help you practice your interview skills. Sign up through the Interview Schedules in CNU Career Connect.
- Spring 2017 Career Fair, Wednesday, Feb. 1
- We have 90+ organizations ready to talk to you about their full-time and internship opportunities!
We are also excited to welcome Steve Dalton, author of the 2-Hour Job Search, on Thursday, Feb. 16 as part of our Walker Internship Series. He will guide you through his detailed and timed process for an internship in, you guessed it 2 hours!
In addition to our events, you can contact the CCP at 757-594-8887 or come by CNH 305 to schedule an appointment about major/career exploration, resume/cover letter writing, interview preparation, job/internship searching, etc. We have new Career Café hours to which are every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3 to 4:30 pm.
Here’s to a successful spring semester, Captains! We look forward to seeing you soon!