Career fairs are a great start in beginning your job hunt. Following these tips and strategies to help you make connections at the career fair:
- Research employers
- Educate yourself on the companies attending by reviewing our Profile Book. The more you know about an organization and the types of positions they hire for, the better you will come across to the employer.
- Don’t ask questions you can find for yourself
- Use your resources and do not ask questions you can easily find for yourself. Ask questions that can provide insight for you, such as how can one succeed in the job? What do you enjoy most about the company? These questions will give you a more inside perspective on the organization and help you understand what skills are needed to be successful on the job and in the company.
- Be enthusiastic and confident
- A firm handshake, eye contact, and good conversation with the company’s representative are all good signs of your interest in the company. Focus on your strengths and the specific skills and experiences you would bring to the company.
- Follow up with a thank you note or email
- After you have spoken with a representative at the fair, be sure to follow up with them. Ask for a business card and send thank you emails/handwritten notes. These notes/emails show you appreciate their time and help you stay on their radar.
Remember you get jobs by talking to people. Dress for success and see you at the Career Fair on Wednesday, Feb. 1 in the DSU from 12-3PM.