Captains, the time to search for internships is now! As the spring semester is well underway, if you haven’t started thinking about summer internships, start today! It is essential to start as early as possible in your search.
Freshman and Sophomores, you don’t have to wait until your Junior year to land on an internship. Start now! Not only will you be able to get a good sense of a particular career path you might want to pursue, but more experience means more exposure and more opportunity.
Tips to Consider:
- Make sure your resume is up to date and is looking its best. Feel free to bring in your resume and have it reviewed by the CCP staff.
- Use job searching websites to look for internships. Career Connect can be combined with other sites like Indeed.com or Internships.com. Also look into professional associations within your field and check with your academic department to see if they keep a list of options students have used before.
- Be proactive with your search, look for companies that interest you and approach them directly.
- “You get jobs by talking to people” works the same with internships. Reach out to people within your network and connect with them (professional networks like LinkedIn might prove to be quite beneficial). Show your interest and desire to gain experience.
- Remember internships are meant to give you real work experience that will ultimately lead you in your chosen career field. Make the most of your internship experience by getting involved in as many projects and tasks as possible to learn as much as you can.
Have questions about getting your internship started? Call 757-594-8887 to schedule an appointment with a CCP advisor today!