As graduation slowly but surely creeps onto the horizon, seniors may be worried about what they’ll do post-grad. Luckily, it’s not too late to start the job search and figure out where to work! Here are a handful of quick tips to help ensure a productive job search.
- As you apply for jobs, document the position, company, and date applied in an excel sheet or Google doc. Making a note of the applications you’ve sent out helps to track your progress and reminds you that you can’t wait forever for one company to get back to you.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Apply to multiple companies and multiple positions. You don’t want to be without a lead if your dream job falls through. Which leads us to #3…
- Your first job may be your dream job, but this is highly unlikely. Don’t take a job in which you have no interest or at a company that will make you miserable, but know that you will have to work your way up wherever you go! You will likely experience several job changes over your lifetime, so no sweat if your first full-time position isn’t your final goal.
- Utilize the career center. Did you know we do more than resume reviews? The CCP can help you with anything from a mock job interview to how to use LinkedIn. Take advantage of the center while you’re still on campus and it is easily accessible. (You can also return as an alum for career advice!)
- Always thank employers for their time and send a handwritten thank you after an interview. A little thoughtfulness goes a long way!